In our office, we know and understand the importance of good preventative care. Part of this includes brushing and flossing your teeth properly.
Good dental preventative care is very important to ensure a healthy mouth, including your gums and teeth.
Preventative care includes regular 6 month dental visits.
WHY ARE REGULAR 6 MONTH DENTAL VISITS IMPORTANT FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY?
Regular dental visits are important for all family members because they help keep your teeth and gums healthy. Each family member should have a regular dental visit at least every 6 months.
What happens at your routine 6 month visit?
There are two parts to a regular dental visit: one part is the check-up, the other is a cleaning. The check-up is when the hygienist checks your teeth for cracks, cavities, and the gums. Dr. Goodwin does a similar exam, but he also checks for cancerous lesions and bumps. The check -up includes X-rays of the teeth and bone. The cleaning is a thorough cleaning of your teeth and gums. Fluoride is an important part of your 6 month visit. Fluoride helps strengthen the teeth and helps prevent cavities from forming.
What should you do between visits?
Be sure to take care of your teeth and gums between regular dental visits. Plaque is always forming on your teeth, but you can get rid of it by brushing and flossing regularly. Here are some tips for good oral care at home.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day. Be sure to use a toothpaste that contains fluoride.
- Floss at least once a day.
- Use a mouth rinse to help get rid of plaque bacteria. This will also help to freshen breath.
Tips on How to Maintain a Healthy, Beautiful Smile
Your daily home care regimen is the most important part of your dental health. Here are some guidelines to help you keep that dazzling smile!
- Be conscious of your food choices! As a teen, you’re busy with school and extracurricular activities. Make sure you eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, and limit your intake of junk food, fast food and sugary foods like candy.
- Always brush and floss! These daily habits are the best way to prevent tooth decay. Brush your teeth with fluoridated toothpaste at least twice a day, and floss at least once a day to reach the spaces your toothbrush can’t.
- Stay on track with your regular dental appointments! Annual teeth cleanings, fluoride treatments and sealants will help you keep tooth decay and gum disease away.
- Just say, “No!” to smoking and chewing tobacco! Everything you’ve heard about tobacco is true – it causes a number of health problems, and it’s nasty! And did you know tobacco can cause oral cancer? Not cool.
- If you play sports, always wear a mouthguard to protect your pearly whites! We can make you a custom mouthguard that will fit much better than one bought at a sports store.
If you have any questions about brushing your teeth, flossing, or anything else about home care, please contact ustoday at (435) 257-7016.